Thursday, July 30, 2009

It's a MIRACLE

That's right folks, I actually MADE dinner!!! After weeks (probably a month) of drive thru's, restaurants, cereal, mooching off our parents, it was finally time to get back in the kitchen and save my poor family from home cookin' neglection. SOOO, to win their hearts back I made this fabulous:


BBQ Chicken Salad


1/2 head iceberg lettuce - chopped
romaine lettuce- chopped
1 cup frozen white corn- rinse under cold water, or fresh corn if in season:)
1 can black beans- drain & rinse
2 cups pepper jack cheese, shredded
2 medium diced tomatoes
1-2 avocados chunked- drizzle 1/2 lime over to prevent from browning

Ranch Dressing:
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup mayo
1 package Hidden Valley ranch mix
1/4 cup cilantro diced

bbq Chicken:
1 hour before, marinade 2 pounds chicken tenders in
1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1 tsp minced garlic, 1/2 tsp salt & pepper.
Place chicken on broiler pan and broil 4-6 minutes per side. Let cool then dice in cubes,
then toss with 1/2 cup bbq sauce of your choice!
On large platter, layer lettuces, corn, black beans, cheese & tomatoes. Top with warm bbq chicken and avocados!

Serve with ranch dressing, garlic bread or HOME MADE ROLLS!

I think it worked!
I had two very HAPPY boys at the dinner table!


They just might keep me after all:)

9 comments:

jake and jenni said...

I am coming over for leftovers...that looks so good!!!! Now I know what's for dinner tomorrow! Homeade rolls? you make me sick!

Saragers said...

that looks so tasty!! i didn't do a dang thing when i was pregnant!! (my husband was sad) way to go!!!

S and B H. said...

You go!! That's great!!! I am going to have to make that recipe after I get my braces off. I don't like eating lettuce with braces! Looks yummy. Keep up the good work :)

Anonymous said...

Yum! Looks delish! I know what you mean about the cooking thing. Sometimes it is just so hard! I love to cook but never have time. I have made dinner every night this week though and it has been wonderful...and cheaper!

marcie said...

um YUM! that looks amazing! CALI IN T MINUS 12 HOURS!!!

Brett Martin said...

okay holy FREAKING yuuummmm...thanks for the recipe! I just made a new pact with my family that i'll be cooking more too! That plate of salad looks like you organized each peice by hand...not an item of of place! heehee. Are you getting pumped for Cali?? Snot...

Adam and Jess said...

I'll have to try out this recipe, it looks fabulous. On a sadder note, I was just looking at Adam's friend Jenn's blog and found out that Shane Mckinnon's wife was in a serious accident, they tried to save the almost full-term baby, and it passed away the next day. Sad huh?

Leah Martineau said...

I just saw Jeffersons pictures from Cali on facebook!! SO much fun and I'm inviting myself along with you guys next year =) So as for preschool, I'm just having them sit at my kitchen table and do our "Learning time" on the floor in the living room. Yeah not my favorite compared to my other preschool room but it will work. So lets play or swim this week =) Can't wait to see your Cali post.

Kristen said...

looks yummy! i hate being so behind in my little blog world! maybe once baby comes I will get back with it again - you look great, hope you survive the rest of this hot summer!!!