Sunday, January 30, 2011

Monster Jam

.
Casey wanted to take Lane to Monster Jam for a fun father, son outing. I thought it sounded great. I have memories of going to monster trucks with my dad.

Rewind a few weeks back. I went to our Stake Preparedness Fair and attended a class on teaching your children self reliance. I was sitting and listening to the discussions and all the ideas people had. Great ways on how to get your kids to be motivated, do their chores...basically learn how to do their part in the world they live in and have success.

After the class was over I had a sense of guilt . Am I doing the best I can as a parent to help my child yearn a sense of accomplishment and worth? No not really. I am really good at doing things myself to avoid making a bigger mess in the process of him "helping" or to simply save time and have it done the right way (which selfishly is my way). He is also given way too many things on a silver platter in my opinion...this is all my fault though. I have failed so many times in making him feel like he is helping and contributing to whatever is going on. I left this class excited, motivated and ready to make a new start.

 For FHE we read a story from the Friend about being a happy helper and what it means to do your part, even if we don't want to. We can do it with a frowny face and have a bad experience or do it with a smile and feel how good it is to serve and help one another. I then presented the good boy jar. If mom or dad saw Lane do a good boy thing he could put one handful of beads in the jar. If he could get all the beads to the top by the end of the week he could go to Monster trucks with dad.

Not everything is going to end in a reward. I figured since he was going to go to monster trucks anyway, might as well get him moving and working for it!

During the week he was really good to get those beads in the jar. He struggled a little some of the time but after a nice reminder he remembered what he signed up to do and got those beads in the jar. I didn't realize how small those beads were. I was using what I had around the house and it was either that or cotton balls. Saturday it was almost full so I secretly dumped some in then let him put in a handful for simple everyday things like washing hands and putting on his clothes:)

The big night finally arrived! The good boy was pumped and ready to reap his reward!








Lane was pure happiness when he got home. He had a smile from ear to ear. I think things are just more fun without mom sometimes.

I sent them with the camera. I should have figured that when dads in charge of the pictures, you don't end up with what you had in mind returned to you. None with the both of them together and more pictures of the trucks then the kid:)

I don't care. All I care about is that they bonded.

They are both such good boys.
.

7 comments:

Stephanie Evans said...

Ahhh, phases of life. ( I am currently trying to get Collin to stop hitting. He hits CONSTANTLY!! Any ideas? Time out is not working) That's good that you are giving him opportunities to fill his jar. It reminded me of "class points" when I was teaching. All the other teachers had a movie day planned, because their classes had nearly achieved their 100 points. My class was far from it. so they could participate I started heaping on the points during the week and they were totally suspicious and called me out on it! I guess 5th graders can be smarter than they appear. I would have been too jealous to let them go to Monster Trucks without ME! Fun fun.

Btw, your house decor looks great. Amazing what molding can do. And the countertops turned out amazing. Good tip!

S and B H. said...

SOOOO FUN!!! Yah those jars take little longer to fill up than we think, huh?!? They work though! So glad they had fun. Randon loved this post :)

Adam and Jess said...

That's a good idea. I've wondered about doing something like that with Pax, but I don't think he'd get it yet. Gage was sooo easy and if you were stern, he'd listen and now Pax is struggling.
When we moved to Pittsburgh I realized that I was more o.c.d with Gage doing projects with me, than I thought. So, like you, it took a lot of patience to have him do things his way and take more time. It does help that I'm not working during the day anymore so if it takes that extra time, it's ok. Sounds like some manly bonding time.

martanna said...

AWESOME! Way to go Mama! I love the pics...you can totally tell Lane is having the time of his life! Is that papa and grammy G in front of them? haha
Thanks for sharing, I loved this!

Val said...

What the??! So fun! Love and miss you guys!!

Brooke and Brett Martin said...

what a great post. he sure is getting big and you are doing a great job.
I love your blog music, you have the best songs ever.
your new home improvements look AMAAAAZINGggg. you guys are unbelievable what you can do to things.
come out and play please!?

Jael and Chris said...

shelley, without getting too mushy, you and casey are GREAT parents. seriously, lane and rusty boy and your six other future sons (heh heh) are very blessed to have you guys as their mom and dad!
ahh, the monster jam memories with dad shall never be forgotten.