Monday, February 4, 2019

San Francisco, day 2!




It rained all through the night.
I anticipated that we would get soaked all day long.
I had our poncho's, and rain booties ready to go in our backpacks.
It was slightly misty outside as we walked to Lori's Diner for breakfast.



Can you see the pink Cadillac behind Rusty?
The vibe was cool, but it was just mediocre food.



Casey was determined to make it to the Golden Gate Bridge by city bus!
He had been studying the bus maps and was certain we could get there no problem.
Our first leg went great!
We needed to switch routes so off we went and found the next bus
 stop right across the street.
 We were feeling pretty proud of ourselves for not getting lost or missing our stop.
After we waited a few minutes, we noticed that the stop 
had temporarily been moved due to road construction!
Hmm, but where?! 
Dark clouds were rolling in and it started to sprinkle.
I called a Lyft and we hunkered down in a Circle K until it arrived.

Tender mercy in all of that, because the city bus would have never taken us where
 we needed to go to rent bikes! 
Plus, our driver took us through the most gorgeous town Presidio. 
Aka, billionaire row.
I would love to go back and explore that place on bikes.

A view of the bridge from Sports Basement, where we rented bikes.
The large area of grass is called Crissy Field.


All geared up and ready to ride across the bridge! 
The rain stopped and the most glorious blue sky and fluffy clouds stayed the rest of the trip!
Grammy stayed back.
 Sports Basement was a huge place with lots of places to wander and couches to sit on.


We did have to conquer a few steep hills.
The bikes were good quality so it wasn't super difficult.
Papa rented one with peddle assistance.
  As we were standing up huffing and puffing to reach the top, 
he whizzed on right passed us with no effort!
I was curious how his bike rode compared to ours. 
He let me borrow it and WOW!! 
Why did I not rent the upgraded bike? 
You could ride all day without breaking a sweat.


A view from the top of the hill.
You can see a blurry blob of Alcatraz.


Famous picture spot.


On the bridge!
What a neat experience.
Hands down, probably one of my top favorite things I've ever done.
It was super windy and cars were passing by with Christmas trees on top of their cars.
You could see the waves on the beach underneath crashing on the sand.



Made it to the other side!
We debated on continuing the ride down into Sausalito and taking the ferry back. 
It would have taken too much time. 
I tell ya, San Francisco is packed with so much goodness to see!





Heading back!



Sports Basement is that big white building in the right top corner.
I wish I got a picture of the inside.
They had a spin class going on when we got back!


The day had flown by so fast!
We still wanted to ride the Go Cars,
 I called and they said if we hurried we could get an hour tour in before they closed.
We didn't want to risk getting lost, so we ordered a Lyft and got there lickidy split!

After signing our lives away, we loaded in the cars and off we went!
Each car has a navigation system and a tracker telling you which way to turn as well as describing what you are driving by.
It was a blast!
 I think we all had beaming smiles on our faces the whole time.


I had Lane with me and made him take pictures.
Our hands were frozen, so this is the best he got, lol!



I shouted at him to take a picture of the Christmas tree on top of the car.
They were everywhere and was so magical!
Haha, you can barely see it between the metal bar.



Our main destination was Lombard Street!
After lots of side street turns, there it was!
You could tell by the big crowds taking pictures of it:)

At the very top ready to drive down!






So, so fun!!
We made it back safely.
Wishing they could have driven.





We were starving! It was such a busy day we didn't have time for lunch!
The Go car tours was down the street from Fisherman's Warf.
We decided to walk down and find a restaurant there to eat.

The first thing we saw was Hard Rock Café.
Not an authentic place, but there was no wait so we caved.
Boy were we glad we did!!
Everything we ordered was top notch!
There was not one bit of food left on anyone's plates.



My ribs were as long as the table!
They were falling of the bone, some of the yummiest I have ever had.



What to do after stuffing our faces with food?
Wash it down with melted chocolate, of course:)
Back to Ghirardelli square for more rounds of sundaes!



This is where it got scarily comical.
Casey said we could take buses back to Union Square.
We needed to catch quite a few of them.
Every time we would walk to a stop, we had just missed the bus and would
 need to wait for 15 minutes for the next one. 
The first time was fine. 
I face timed the girls.
But each time, the area would get sketchier and sketchier.
At one point we were waiting at the NASTIEST bust stop.
I swear it reeked of urine, had a dirty stained comforter and garbage all over the floor. 
A homeless man was hacking up a lung in between puffs of a cigarette.
 My mother in law and I were FREAKING OUT! 
 We each had a kid tightly by the arm. 
If it couldn't get any worse, a drunk homeless guy was cussing out and chasing after
 another  ONE. LEGGED.  homeless man on crutches!!! 
Moments later, a clearly out of his mind guy was slowly walking the streets, clanking a 
stick behind him on the gates making a loud noise, back and forth.
 It was a scene out of  a horror movie!!
Casey, what did you get us into! 
That bus couldn't come fast enough!
I whispered to never try drugs to the boys. 
They nodded their heads with a dazed stare, lol!
A good visual consequence lesson for them.


This beautifully lit Macy's building was a grand site!
We had made it out of the trenches and were safely home!




Union Square at Christmas time is a big deal.
We walked around for a bit.
They had an ice skating rink and a guy dressed up in a home made costume with lights all over it.
Of course he charged to take pictures. 
It was like being in a mini version of Times Square.
Super fun vibe.
Once again, we were bushed from a long, awesome day!





No comments: