Friday, February 11, 2022

Bozeman, Montana



We have some amazing friends, who also happen to be our neighbors!
We are all spread out age wise, and in different seasons of life.
Funny how true friendships just happen naturally regardless
 of our different circumstances.

January seems to be the month we all
like to find a place to visit together on a couples trip!
This would be our 3rd annual vacation. 
So far we have done Telluride and Bear Lake.
Last year got squashed because covid was still ruining everything.

We threw out sunny Florida as an option to switch it up.
Somehow snow shoved it's way through 
and off to Bozeman, Montana we went!

We had a layover in Denver where we got a taste of true cold weather.
Snow is such a novelty to us!
I felt like a kid pointing it out to Casey through the window. 
We shivered as we exited the plane and couldn't believe the difference
of weather from what we are used to back at home. 

Boy, were we in for a treat on our next flight.
Denver was nothing for what was coming at us next!


(Denver airport)


Snow. Piles and piles of snow!

We were all a bit silent while walking off the plane.
I think we each had the thought it might not be too late to turn around and get back on!

 People were visibly staring at us as we were walking through the airport.
We screamed amateurs!
I could see their thoughts: that's cute, you think that Target sweat suit is
going to keep you warm?

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore!


(Bozeman airport parking lot)


Casey went and fetched the car rental that was buried under piles of snow.
Such a saint.
I literally had to force my body out the doors when he pulled up. 
I felt like I was in the airport scene on Cool Runnings.
"Sanka, whatcha smokin? I'm not smokin, I'm breathin!"
I thought I snapped a finger off getting the luggage all situated. 
They were so numb I couldn't tell what was still there or not. 
And I may have screamed out loud, WHAT WERE WE THINKING?!!!!

I later learned it was 9 degrees.
Nothing can prepare you for 9 flipping degree weather!




We drove like the snowbirds do in AZ (slippery roads!) to the grocery store to stock up on the
vacation essentials... candy, chips, soda and ice cream!

Of COURSE Jeanette found 2 missionaries the second we walked in!
In a brief  minute she knew everything down to their social security numbers:)
She is the friendliest person and genuinely wants to know everything about everyone.
I need to be more like Jeanette.
Plus, she has a soft spot for missionaries as her daughter is currently serving one.




Ok, we need to have a moment of silence for these fudge bars.
Our friend grew up in Montana and told us we HAVE to get Wilcoxson's fudge bars.
They only sell them in that state.
You don't have to tell me twice!

They also had oodles of ice cream choices that we were not passing up.
We landed on a few flavors that knocked our socks off. 
I don't even like graham cracker flavored stuff and I wanted to pound the whole
dang carton! There was this cream cheese swirl in it, mmm I need it!

They had huckleberry ice cream bars I wanted to try, maybe it's a good thing
they don't sell it in AZ!

Wilcoxson's for the WIN!






At the Airbnb Casey got right to work.
I think his hands were missing a shovel, lol!

And such a bummer that the hot tub ended up being broken, wah!
That was the whole reason we booked that one.
Thankfully a hefty refund helped with the blow.



Chilling and napping to Jim Gaffigan on Netflix before our night life started.





We ate dinner at a yummy brewery then hit up one of
 their many natural hot springs!

As we were getting out of our car, we started talking to young adults getting
out of their car next to us. 
Remember, we have Jeanette with us:)
When they found out that we were from AZ and left 70 degree weather,
one of them said in the most confused tone, what are you doing here??
Good question, we are still trying to figure that out!


I walked outside and couldn't see where I was going from all of the fog!
They had a live band playing. 
The ambience and vibe was so relaxing. 





Inside they had more pods with different water temperatures.
Up those stairs they had a cold plunge in the middle of 2 hot tubs. 



The big pool was normal temperature.
But on the end was the hot, hot stuff!
One guy looked like a red, boiling lobster sitting in the water.




Games and ice cream ended our late night!


The guys left in the morning for a grand adventure of snowmobiling!





 Us ladies graciously declined the adrenaline rush and went to the spa!
I found a place online that looked promising. 
Hard to know when you don't know the area.
The Loft Spa, you have my heart.
Humina, humina, seriously the best facial I have ever had.
Ok, not hard to say since I've only had one other facial besides that, hehe. 
But she was really good and I was butter melting into the massage table!

We enjoyed the sauna and steam room and it was the most
fabulous day, girl talking and relaxing!



The spa was nestled in the heart of downtown.
 We shopped in the cute boutiques and ate a late lunch at a place called, Jam.
I got the biscuits and gravy, hot chocolate from scratch, and a dessert crepe to share.
Ya, it was 2 thumbs up.



They guys text us after we ate so we officially knew they were alive!
They said even though it dumped snow on them,
 it was amazing and really got the hang of it towards the end.


We met back at the house for some down time before dinner.

Everyone we asked for dinner suggestions said Daves Sushi right of the bat.
After the tenth time we said ok, Daves it is!

They fly in their fish fresh straight from Alaska.
Good stuff, go Dave!



Talking, baking cookies and games was our night activity. 





I saw this Grandma's Donuts place on Pinterest and knew I had to have them.
Casey and I woke up and were going to get some to share, but Marc 
had already beat us to it!

They were warm and so so fresh.
And so so GOOD!



We had a lazy morning and got brunch after our donut appetizer. 
Then drove an hour to Big Sky which is the
second largest ski resort in the United States. 

Only one in our group opted to snowboard.
The rest of us drove to a scenic spot called Ouzel Falls
 to check out frozen water falls.

It was about a 2 mile roundtrip "hike".
I'm not much of a hiker, and in snow non the less.
However, the reviews said it was more of a nature walk.

I think we stepped into a snow covered forest heaven.
Pictures do NOT do it justice.

A  snow covered bridge with a babbling stream running next to it. 







 Our hiking line.




And there it was!
I felt like I was in the middle of the movie Frozen!
Elsa surely had to be around the corner.






Oh wait, this wasn't it?!
Nope, there was one more!

We kept going until we got to the big waterfall that was literally frozen solid!
It was basically a frozen wall of water behind us. 

I was envisioning how beautiful this place must be when it's
thawed out and green.

A lady overheard us talking and said it is indeed beautiful.
However, there are tons of bears and you have to be very careful.
Yikes. 







We spotted some moose!
And some moose tracks for ice cream:)





We went up to the ski lodge thinking there was an enclosed lift that could take us to the top.
It was enclosed, but only half way.
Your legs and feet would be daggling and exposed.
Hard pass!
We opted to shop inside and buy Montana paraphernalia
and souvenirs for the kids. 



Next stop was our horse-drawn sleigh ride!
This was fun. Freezing, but fun!



It was only a 20 minute ride to our destination.
Which was plenty.
Any longer and our blood would have turned slushy. 

The sun was setting and the sky was beyond picturesque. 



It took us to this heated tent and campfire.






Inside the tent was WARMTH!!
Oh, and appetizers:)



It was a random spread, but delicious.
Homemade bison chili.
Bison is huge in this neck of the woods.
Cheese and crackers and dutch oven popcorn. 




Even a bar and scruffy woodsman bar tender, lol!
He was actually really nice and interesting to talk to.
He was from Florida and raced dirt bikes professionally.
He was looking for a change and ended up in Bozeman.
Change indeed!


No hot toddies for us, but warm cider and hot chocolate was much appreciated. 







Looks like a scene from the nativity.
Star of Bethlehem much?



Woodfire pizza for dinner and games was how we spent our last night in Montana.

Southwest threw a wrench in our plans by bumping up our flight by 5 hours!
And changed our layover location to Las Vegas.
Despite the disappointment, we made lemonade out of the situation.


We needed to fill the car up before heading to the airport.
I made Jeanette run across the street with me to take
a picture under the American flag!



We arrived in Vegas with a 4 hour layover.
Luckily there are lots of things you can do in Vegas to kill time!
And hello, welcome back to land of warmth!!

We walked outside to find a taxi but surprisingly non could be found.
We saw a shuttle bus that could take us.
In the meantime while we were conversating on what to do, Tait was talking to 
a limo driver who offered us a sweet deal.
It was cheaper than the shuttle bus, no brainer!

Riding in style!



The limo driver dropped us off in front of the Wynn.



You guessed it, Wynn buffet here we come!!
I was excited because I've only had the brunch menu.
This time was the dinner spread.
Hot diggity, every bit was savored!




 


We stuffed our faces then took a Lyft back to the airport.
What a trip!


No comments: