I hopped out of the shower one Saturday afternoon to
find over 30 texts from neighbors.
Questioning why there were cop cars and ambulances down the street.
Once I read to the end of the feed, it was verified that
they were at the DeFer's, and it wasn't looking good.
My heart sunk.
A young family, what on earth had happened?
I quickly threw on clothes and ran down to see if I could help.
I know Brittany and Matt fairly well.
Their kids align with our kids.
We aren't super close, but find them to
be neighbors we love to chat with when passing by on walks.
Or catch up in the aisles of Target, where I seem to run into Brittany the most!
As I got closer, most of the commotion had settled.
Only a few police officers were lingering out front.
I knew they couldn't give me answers.
All they could say was that everyone was at the hospital and
taken care of for now.
However, they most likely would be needing support in the following days.
My heart sunk again.
I sent a text to Brittany on my walk back home.
Stating we are here if they needed anything.
I honestly wasn't expecting a text back.
At least not right away.
To my surprise I received a message saying:
Please pray.
JUST PRAY!
For Bodhi, their 7 year old son.
After messaging back and forth for a bit, I got a grasp for what had happened.
I tragic accident that no parent should ever have to endure.
A child on life support, not sure of the future.
After letting the information sink, a thought came to mind.
A priesthood blessing.
I quickly messaged Casey.
Who was at our Stake center.
We were having Stake conference that weekend, and he was at meetings.
"Should we offer to give Bodhi a blessing?"
I hate to overstep boundaries.
As the DeFer's are not of our faith.
We will take any and all good energy we can to help heal this boy.
Casey was dressed and ready to go.
His counselor, who's children attend school with Bodhi,
was at the same meeting.
was at the same meeting.
How is Heavenly Father so good to have simple things like that all lined
up ready to go when needed?
Only 2 people were allowed in the ICU, so I prayed
in the waiting room while they administered the blessing.
It is amazing to see the good in a tragedy.
Neighbors uniting together in prayer, song, and words.
A Sunday night candle vigil.
Once we got word that Bodhi would not be coming home, we united again.
To make the coming home process a little more bearable.
B's and blue ribbons all along the street for Bodhi.
I am one who does not know what to do or say in hard times like this.
I tried to be guided on how best to help.
Quiet drop offs of supplies and food is what I felt comfortable doing
for the next couple of days.
Casey wanted me to offer our church
building for anything they may need it for.
building for anything they may need it for.
However, Brittany beat me to it!
I am so thankful she felt like she could reach out to us.
Once she found out Casey was the bishop, she stated how comfortable that made her feel.
And knew she felt prompted to ask us for a reason.
"We have all Mormon friends, and live in a Mormon area.
Yet, we aren't Mormon".
We don't care!!
I explained.
After Casey and I met with them in their home, it was
apparent they needed help with his funeral in every way.
Which we were more than happy to do!
I was appointed the head person of contact.
Boy, planning a funeral is a full time job.
I was humbled.
And learned a lot.
More importantly, I was brought to tears with
the good hearts of many, MANY people wanting to serve this family!
Funeral Home
Flowers
Luncheon Food
Pictures... to name a few.
Fully covered.
How are people so thoughtful and generous?!
The DeFer's have a tricky situation on both sides of their families.
So I was her right hand man.
I don't think I put my phone down the whole week leading up to
his Celebration of Life.
So many things to coordinate.
Heavy things to bear with them.
The hardest was sitting at the funeral home, making "lasts" decisions
for their son.
I wish this upon no one!
I never just grab a soda at the gas station for the heck of it.
My emotional toll was shot, as you can see!
Miracles upon miracles.
Connections and more connections.
Mesa is a big city, yet, it is also a small world to live in it.
So many times Brittany and I would laugh as we knew so many of the same people!
I knew a mom who's daughter was in Bodhi's school class.
She was amazing, and organized to have his class practice a song to sing at his funeral.
I could hardly sit in here as they practiced, Somewhere Over the Rainbow.
We set up the night before.
Once again, blown away at the community
who showed up to help in any way that they could.
who showed up to help in any way that they could.
We got to the church early to do final preparations.
It was a somber morning, with heavy emotions.
Yet, you could feel the light.
The peace.
That peace continued as more and more people came
to show their support.
Bodhi's sister Juniper making his favorite snack.
Cucumber pinwheels.
That peace was there as his family had their last final moments together, writing
their hearts out on his casket.
Peace that he lived his life to the fullest a child could!
Peace was there as the memories flowed
and words were shared during the service.
and words were shared during the service.
And when his classmates sang their beautiful song.
Peace (and lots of tears) when his mother shared the
most beautiful tribute to her son.
most beautiful tribute to her son.
It carried over to the cemetery.
Back to the church for a luncheon.
We are grateful to have the DeFer's as dear neighbors.
We will miss Bodhi.
This hit close to home as Della is his same age.
We don't know why we have to endure certain trials in life.
I am grateful that Heavenly Father has given us a plan to help manage
the "opposition in all things".
The most peace is knowing that they will
get to be with their sweet boy again.




















No comments:
Post a Comment