Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Girls Just Wanna Have FUN!


I was blessed with some amazing friends.
My parents built a new house and when we moved in
I was 12 and starting the 7th grade.
Stephanie and I didn't go long before connecting with these
3 girls who lived down the street.


Right off the bat we became instant friends, soul sistas!

We were probably the most immature girls, ever!
We didn't care.
We knew how to have a good time.

Boy bands of any kind, Spice Girls, Lifehouse, Weezer, 311 on repeat.

Laying out on the top of our parents roofs since nobody had a pool.
We had a boom box and spray bottles to keep us from not frying to a crisp up there!

Eating, lots of eating!
Goldfish crackers, picnic in a bag (bagged caesar salad kits), happy hour wings at Applebees,
lemonberry slushes from Sonic were some of our favorites to eat endlessly! 
I honestly don't know how we weren't severely over weight!

Cruising around in either Jessica's Corolla or Jenni's green Dodge truck nicknamed "the green bean" (we were lucky to have friends with cars).

Making up words to communicate with, like Narnie.
 "don't be a narnie"
??
Did I mention we were immature!

I remember popping lots of popcorn and hanging out front under the stars on blankets, talking the night away.

Goofing off in aerobics class at Mesa High

Too many girls camp adventures with high pitched squeals and contraband.

One time we really wanted to watch the live NSYNC concert and non of us had cable.
We drove to the cheapest motel we could find, which of course was in the sketchiest part of town.
We all pitched in and reserved a room so we could watch it on HBO!
When it was over we all drove home and slept in our own beds.
Of course without our parents knowing!

California beach trips after graduation.

YSA dances at Rockin' R Ranch


From left to right:
Jenni, Jessica, Stephanie, LaRee, and me



This was at the Snowflake temple open house.
I love that Travis is in the picture.
Funny how the boy that lived down the street, who also put up with us crazies,
ended up marrying Stephanie and is now my brother in-law!

I love that the trend for clothing at the time apparently was khaki!
And bob haircuts were all the rage!


Jenni was the first to get married.




This was at my bridal shower.
The clothing trend must have switched over to pastels:)

I also love this picture because it shows us in that first "adulting" phase.
We had it all covered: new mama (Jenni), prego (LaRee), newlywed (Jessica),
engaged (me), and dating (Stephanie)


 Dental school took a couple of them away for a few years.
Now we all live in Mesa or Gilbert!

We are good to stay in touch.
We like to get together for birthday lunches.

Here was one of our recent lunches.
We sure have dwindled down to just a few kids joining us!
Back in the day we had about 2 each running around.
Joe's Farm Grill is where we usually go, for that reason.
Lots of open space for kids to play while the moms chat away:)




The only down side is that we never have enough time to catch up!!
Once we get into a good conversation we either need to take a child to the potty or 
 leave to pick up the older kids from school.

At our last lunch in October I mentioned we needed a to do a girls weekend so we could
truly "hang out", like the good ol' days!

We all agreed and somehow we managed to find a weekend to slip away from mom life!


We started with shopping at Fashion Square Mall.
That in itself was a treat!
I cannot remember the last time I had a couple of hours to myself to shop.
Or even the last time I walked into a mall, to be honest!




We were sitting at this bench towards the end of shopping when we looked up to see
some familiar faces!


Travis took the kids to meet his friend who had driven down from Gallup for the weekend.
He had no idea we would be there!

Nothing like a happy reunion after 2 hours of being away from mom, lol!
It was like they had been away from her for days.


We ate dinner at the Thirsty Lion.
This might be a new favorite restaurant for me!
I wish you could see our food, but fitting the faces in the selfie was more important.





After dinner we went back to the cars and drove over to The Duce!
I had been to The Duce a few months back with Casey and other friends.
I knew we HAD to go.

It is hard to explain what this place is.
First off, it is in the sketchiest place in Phoenix.
You pull up to what looks like a sheet metal building surrounded by barbed wire fences
and homeless folks. 
If I hadn't gone with other people that had been before I would have never gotten out of the car!

However, once you get inside you are pleasantly surprised!
It is decorated in the cutest shabby chic décor.
And it is a party I tell ya!

It is not a club.
Just a really fun hang out spot.
They have foosball, and cornhole.

You can order food.
And the best, in the bar area there is a DJ and a dance floor!!

That is what we came to do...DANCE!

I sent Casey this picture saying I wish he were here!
Since he had the pleasure of coming last time and loved every second (sarcasm).
He instantly replied saying, wish I could be there, with a thumbs down.



dancing the night away!




Hula hoop contest!



About midnight we figured we better skidaddle and get some use out of our 
hotel room!

We still had a 30 minute drive to get to the Princess resort.
Once we got there we were pretty slap happy and could NOT find our room in the humungous 
resort!
We decided to turn around and use valet.
Which meant we got to be shuttled around in the golf cart, so VIP!




Of course after more talking we didn't fall asleep until 2:30 in the morning!
We had originally planned on going to a boot camp exercise class, ya we were too tired.


We slept and chilled in the room until it was time to start our Sparty!
Yep, I day at the spa was just what these old moms needed!

With the Sparty we got a free lunch before our massages.



Then it was off to the most heavenly day.
I'm pretty sure I'm sold on the spa.

You get to wear fluffy robes...


lounge on pool pillows in the heated roof top pool...


sit in the sauna, steam room, inhalation room, plunge in the cold tub then hop in the hot tub.
And we can't forget the massage you wished lasted another hour!



After a few hours of that we walked down to the beach pool at the resort.
I was the towel girl. You can never have enough towels!!


The weather that day was incredible.
I believe it was high 70's, in January!
I love you Arizona.




What is a girls trip without food?



We sat and ate.
Talked and talked (uninterrupted).
So much so that Jenni and I lost our voices!
It didn't help that we had colds.




The sun was starting to set.
Jenni and Jessica needed to leave.
I couldn't believe it was already over!
We said our goodbyes then Stephanie, LaRee and I went back up to the spa 
for more steam room and hot tub time!
We were getting in all that we could!!


After a stop at Sweet Republic for ice cream (yolo), I made it back home around 10pm
to the best hubby ever.
I was grateful he took time off of work to hold down the fort so I could relax with my friends.

It honestly was something I needed, but didn't know.
Friends are everything, and I sure have the best!

And I'm pretttty sure this will be a new tradish for us!
(had to say tradish, it is appropriate with this group:)



No comments: