Thursday, February 23, 2023

Snowed In






We woke up to some bummer news.
Our plans for the day were officially canceled.
I had been anticipating it, but breaking it to the kids was hard.

We were supposed to go to Silver Dollar City.
An amusement park.
Not just any amusement park, but one that is decked out during Christmas.
Voted #1 during the holidays. 
Millions of twinkle lights and scenery. 
1,000 decorated Christmas trees. 
Old Time Christmas Festival.
I was really excited to go, and honestly was one of the main selling points
for me to pick this destination! 


SOOOO so very sad. 

But, to my surprise, the kids were totally fine to just hang out in the cabin!
It was heavily snowing outside and it was such a novelty for us all. 

It was nice sleeping in after a long day.
Casey made pancakes for breakfast.






For the first time EVER we started a show to watch all together.
I had heard how crazy Alone is.
Camping alone in the wilderness with zero supplies.

We started episode 1 and were hooked! 



We played games. 


By mid afternoon we were ready to check out our surroundings!

We geared up.
 Well at least we thought we were geared up enough.


We opened the door and were instantly hit with -12 degrees.
It cut through every layer we had on in seconds!!

It was unreal.

She would have shoveled for hours if it wasn't so freaking cold! 




This door gave me all the heart vibes!!
So welcoming. 





Cabin #13, so quaint and cozy!
There were about 8- 10 next to each other. 


In our backyard was Table Rock Lake.

While researching I discovered that Branson is also a lake destination.
Much like Bear Lake in UT, people come from all over to vacation in the Summer
by the water. Good to know!


Walking down to check it out.







You can see behind the steam the docks where people put their ski boats.
Hard to imagine the water ever being warm enough to get in!




By this point our faces were numb and tingly.
As we were walking back Casey remembered that the front door automatically locks and you 
need a key card like a hotel to get back in.

Nobody had one.
CRAP!!!

We got back to the porch and sure enough, we were locked out!

Even with gloves on my fingers were hardly able to text.
I got my phone out and made a quick call to the office.
Luckily they answered and said somebody would bring us a key.

Right when I hung up my phone froze and powered off!
Much like if it gets too hot.
Funny how only us Arizonans know that side of it!
Never would have I thought it could literally freeze and not work!

So glad I got that phone call sent out before it did.


We walked up to the street to wait for her.
After 10 minutes they hadn't come yet.
My phone was still off and Casey didn't have the contact information. 

The girls crying was starting to pick up. 
And I knew they were freezing because I was half numb!

I started to get a little worried.
But quickly realized if shiz truly hit the fan I would walk to a neighboring cabin and shamelessly beg
to come in and stay warm until we got help. 

I took the girls back by the porch because it helped block the wind.
Said a couple of prayers. 

Finally Casey came with the key card!!
I guess the poor front desk lady had to walk it to us because her car
 couldn't get up the slippery hill!

We were saved!!

(up by our truck waiting to be recued)


We busted in so fast and promptly warmed up some hot chocolate!




  "we survived death" cheers and smiles.




I think that helped us with our sympathy for the Alone contestants. 
Right about then is when winter was hitting and they were living in the snow
with homemade shelters. 
HOW??
No amount of money is worth that type of torture. 






It was getting to be dinner time.
Casey was adamant that he could make it to a near by McDonalds just fine.

You better believe I was tracking his phone like a hawk while he was gone! 

He made it back with loads of burgers, fries, McFlurries and pies.
And more Alone watching until they dozed off one by one. 



 

Even though this day was nothing like we had planned, it turned out
to be just what we needed!

There was no fighting or saying they were bored.

I actually loved every second of our cabin day!


No comments: