Sept, 11 2025
It's like Christmas morning when Casey tells me to book a trip!
We usually only have a few days to make the trip happen, but without
kids, you can crank out more than you think!
I have always wanted to explore Chicago,
but it's either too hot or too cold.
This go around was smack in the middle of both both extremes which turned out
to be perfect weather!
I booked us at the Palmer House!
Apparently this place holds some history!
It is the longest continuously operating hotel in North America.
It is the first hotel to feature in-room telephones, electric light bulbs,
and elevators!
Most interestingly was the birthplace of brownies!
Palmer House chefs created the worlds first chocolate fudge brownie,
which I still need to make at home.
Google- Original Palmer House Brownie, for the recipe!
The lobby is also iconic with its
breathtaking ceilings and and chandeliers.
First things first, PIZZA!
Pequods is where its at!
Best welcome to Chicago.
We were blown away by its delicious-ness.
That buttery, crispy crust...
Food is a huge part of traveling for us!
Chicago is full of really yummy things!
Now, normally I would never step foot into an art museum.
However, I had JUST recently taught art masterpiece to Lindi's 6th grade class.
The Art Institution of Chicago had some paintings we covered in class.
I thought it would be cool to see them in person!
Casey is such a trooper.
American Gothic
The Old Guitarist, Pablo Picasso.
Vincent Van Gogh self portrait.
The Herring Net by Winslow Homer.
We went into some pretty deep discussion on this one in class.
I was most excited to see this one in person!
Stopped by the Bean in Millennium Park.
Funny how such a strange object can become world famous.
Enjoyed a riverwalk water cruise to hear all
about the architectural history of Chicago.
I zoned out half way.
I hadn't realized how many movies and shows were filmed here!
The Fugitive
ER
Return To Me
My Best Friends Wedding
While You Were Sleeping, my personal favorite.
We ended up getting off and walking back to get to Willis Tower, which
which was the Sears Tower when I was growing up.
It felt like being in NYC with water running through it.
Pretty cool to see the city kissing the shore of Lake Michigan.
I can only imagine how cold it gets in the winter.
At the very top they have this glass box you can stand in that makes
you feel like you are floating above the city.
We had pretty good timing with the sunset!
More pizza to checkmark off our list!
This felt the most authentic.
But I preferred Pequods!
HAD to stop in for a scoop of Kilwins toasted coconut.
WHY do we not have one in AZ yet?!
Time to test out the L train!
This made me love Lucy and Jack even more.
IYKYK.
Pit stop at Mr. Beef.
Casey had been jonesing for a true Chicago Italian beef sandwich.
After asking around, we heard this place multiple times.
Probably because it picked up popularity after being on a tv series recently
called, The Bear.
Never seen it.
It was, ok.
Usually Italian beef tastes under seasoned to me and
I cant stand soggy bread from the juicy meat. Gag.
Back on the L when we started collecting more and more
fans dressed in blue and red.
Made it to the Cubs Stadium!
It was a little more hectic as it happend to be Rizzo's retirement game.
Rusty said it was lame that I was there and not him.
As I have no idea who Rizzo is.
He's not wrong, lol!
We walked Navy Pier and rode some type
of carousel to get a birds eye view of the skyline.
Had to try an authentic Chicago dog with all of the toppings.
3 cheers for Ghirardelli!!
A lovely riverwalk home during the night.
Gives it a completely different feel.
Last day with a late flight always means squeeze in all that we can!
We attended church.
Which is always a favorite of mine.
I was not prepared for how diverse the ward was culture wise.
There were about 6 different sets of missionaries sitting with
a person who seemed to be investigating.
It was so lovely to see!
It made me think of my own missionary sitting at church with a new friend.
We needed one last stop to get our Chicago food fill!
Which we did just that!
Last call for pizza, chicken parm sandwich, Italian beef and
ice!!!
We headed out of the city and onto our movie history portion
of the trip.
Casey never asks questions when I give him an address to drive to.
GEEKING SO BAD!
Lucy's apartment!
"Hey Luce, is this guy bothering you? It looks like he's leaning."
I even peeked through the door and the stairwell looks exactly the same!
Then on to the #1 movie house for tourists...
A constant flow of people.
The Home Alone House!!!!!
Its under construction.
I guess the owners are trying to make it look as original to the movie as possible
from other owners changing over the years.
The coolest to see it in person!
Our gate was even in the same area where is was filmed in the movie.
It was a fun trip!!
No comments:
Post a Comment